Rules & Information
If you’d like to be added to the reminder mailing list for Shades of Colour entry dates, please CLICK HERE!
Categories and Prize Information
Winner will receive: Gift Voucher for $100. If a Highly Commended (Runner-up) is awarded he/she will receive a Gift Voucher for $75. This category is open to anyone but especially those who have previously won the Novice category and/or sold your work.
Winner will receive: Gift Voucher for $75. If a Highly Commended (Runner-up) is awarded he/she will receive a Gift Voucher for $50. Entrants in this category should ideally be fairly new to photography and not sold their work.
Important: If you have won the Novice Category twice then you must upgrade to entering the Advanced Category, ie. you are ineligible to continue entering the Novice Category. You cannot split your entries between the two categories.
Colin Gans, Iain Anderson and Andy Belcher.
Information & where to send it
Please can you email a large hi-res copy of your photo to: email@example.com
Subject line: S of C comp.
Plus the normal info such as:
- Images should be in good taste with respect for the environment (no harming of wildlife).
- Images must be taken underwater (either fully or at least partially submerged) with a digital or film camera.
- Images with watermarks cannot be judged. Remember that judging is blind so putting your name on an image effectively disqualifies you!
- You must own the copyright and must have taken the image you submit.
- You may edit or enhance your images with a view to improving their quality while maintaining a natural appeal; any manipulation should be noted in your comments.
- Uploaded photos should be of highest possible quality. For winning images we may request a higher quality version for print.
- If you have any queries or need to alter an entry, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can upload a maximum of three photos per contest; there is no entry fee.
- Important: If you have won the Novice Category twice then you must upgrade to entering the Advanced Category, ie you are ineligible to continue entering the Novice Category. You cannot split your entries between the two categories.
- Please complete your contact details accurately so we may contact you if you win.
- Permission to publish your entry in Dive New Zealand/Dive Pacific magazines both print and digital as well as on the Dive New Zealand and the Sea Tech websites in relation to the competition is assumed but no entry will be sold or used for purposes outside of the competition and its promotion without the express permission of the entrant.
- Images submitted can be used without notification and free of any charges when used for promotional purposes by Sea Tech Ltd.
- Images submitted can be used without notification and free of any charges within the magazine for educational/photographic tutorials on enhancing an image.
- Previous issue's winning images are available for viewing online.
- You have to be in to win; the competition and prizes will not grow if you don’t participate and best of all, it’s free, so have fun and good luck!
Due dates & Deadlines
Shades of Colour entry dates for each bi-monthly issue of Dive New Zealand magazine are as follows. Closing time will always be a Monday at 10am. We also have a reminder list, which you can sign up to here.
As you can see there is quite a gap between deadlines and the actual issue's publication (which is usually at the beginning of the first month). This is to give us lots of time to complete judging and production. The issue date/number is provided to let you know when to look out for your picture in the magazine. We notify winners via email.
- Dec 4 - for the Feb/Mar 162 issue
- January 15 - for the April/May 163 issue
- March 12 - for the June/July 164 issue
- May 14 - for the Aug/Sept 165 issue
- July 16 - for the Oct/Nov 166 issue
- September 17 - for the Dec/Jan 167 issue
- November 12 - for the Feb/Mar 168 issue
- January 14 2019 - for the April/May 169 issue