Includes handles; dome ports must be purchased separately.
Nauticam announces the release of the NA-EM1, the latest in its acclaimed line of precision crafted underwater camera housings. Nauticam has trail-blazed the path in mirrorless housings and is pleased to announce an exceptional housing for the best mirrorless camera to date, the Olympus OM-D E-M1. While this housing incorporates some of the best features of the Nauticam housing for the E-M5, the NA-EM1 is a new design, pushing the boundary further towards the ideal human-machine interface.
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 is the most capable micro four-thirds (m4/3) camera available and aims squarely at the pro and high end enthusiast. With a slew of customizable controls and extensive menu options, the proud owner of the E-M1 can personalize this camera like perhaps no other. The NA-EM1 takes advantage of the E-M1’s extensive control set and huge lens selection and brings them into the underwater realm in the most innovative, best engineered, and most ergonomic camera housing available.
The NA-EM1 Housing
Nauticam is simply not content to rest on previous successes like the renowned NA-EM5. Given the large number of densely packed controls on the camera, the E-M1 housing presented a challenge in itself. The designers and engineers at Nauticam sought to not only meet this challenge, but take the human-machine interface a step further and keep the focus not on making it easier to make the housing, but to make the housing easier to use. An example is the new integrated handle system; with the pro shooter in mind, this housing is designed for use with the hand on the handle in a manner reminiscent of Nauticam SLR housings. The result is a housing that is easier to hold and is more stable, and is easier to shoot.
One of the hallmarks of Nauticam housings has always been the secure Locking Port Release system, unique in that it utilizes an internal bayonet system. Nauticam's SLR housings have always featured a red locking lever that has become the symbol of Nauticam innovation. This iconic control has now come to the mirrorless world, making port changes faster, easy and just as secure. No wrestling, no twisting, no misalignment - just seat and lock.
Integrated Electronic Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System
The NA-EM1 ships with Nauticam's new vacuum system with integrated electronic vacuum and leak detection monitoring system for extra piece of mind. A simple coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the watertight integrity is solid. The NA-EM1 ships with a bulkhead port for installing the optional vacuum valves.
Nauticam Build Quality
Of course, the sort of quality and robustness that has become synonymous with the Nauticam name is present with this housing as well. Milled from solid aluminum, the housing is depth rated at 100m and built to last. Exceptional care is taken to reduce any possibility of galvanic corrosion, and the housing is hard anodized to stay looking great after years of use.
The Nauticam brand is known for superior ergonomics in all their underwater camera housings. The NA-EM1 will only enhance that reputation. Every control is well thought out. Every button, lever and switch is considered not in terms of what is easier for the designer, but what is best for the shooter.
The key shooting controls are all easily accessed with the right hand with very little finger movement required. What's more, since virtually all of the controls on this camera are programmable, the shooter can customize exactly how the rig will respond to the touch. Shoot, change aperture, shoot, change shutter speed, flip to video, change shutter speed, start recording, change ISO - all easily accessible, and all without long reaches that can cause blurry images, mis-framing and shaky video.
Nauticam produces a “straight” 180º magnifying viewfinder (#32201) and a 45º angled viewfinder (#32203) to enhance the ease of close quarters work often associated with macro shooting. Both viewfinders have high quality optics allow viewing of the entire image. A patented external dioptric adjustment allows personal adjustment to a sharp-as-a-tack standard underwater and viewfinder changes can be executed in less than 30 seconds without using tools. Exceptional composition and focus accuracy have never been more accessible.
Key NA-EM1 Features
- Signature Nauticam Port Locking Lever: is included in a mirrorless housing for the first time. Note the lens release button as well... lens/port changes made quick, easy and secure.
- Handles Built In: The housing is designed to be used with the shooter's hands on the handles, ergonomically placing the camera controls at just the right spot for easy use. No extra tray/handles to buy!
- Brackets: Laser cut stainless steel brackets reinforce the handles, making the rig sturdy and stable even with large strobes or video lights. Mounting balls are included, ready to attach strobes, video lights, and more.
- Vacuum System: The integrated vacuum check and leak detection system adds extra assurance of watertight integrity. Use it without an optional vacuum valve and it serves as a audible/visual water ingress detector. Add the vacuum valve, and get watertight integrity indication via a color coded LED light.
- Fiber optic bulkheads: Reliable automatic flash exposure is available with a variety of optically fired flashes including Inon Z-240 and S-2000, and Sea & Sea YS-D1 and YS-01. This system yields accurate TTL flash performance with no electrical sync cables to flood! Note the labelled controls, making it easy to get to know this housing/camera system.
- Fingertip Control: Fingertip control for all key shooting controls, including both shutter release, focus lock, both command dial, and video start/stop. All of the controls are easy to operate, even with gloves on.
Rubberised Zoom/Focus Knob: The new zoom/focus knob is now rubberised to make gripping easier and more comfortable. Nauticam is the only housing manufacturer offering over-molded, rubberised parts. Like previous Nauticam handles, the built-in NA-EM1 handles get the rubberised treatment that so many shooters have come to enjoy.
The Most Lenses
The NA-EM1 supports all of the major m4/3 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic that are relevant for underwater.
Lenses from previous Olympus four-thirds DSLR cameras are also now supported with the optional extension ring. The gearing in the focus/zoom knob mates with the original gears from Olympus.
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: Aprrox. 1.80kg
- Dimensions (with handles mounted): 302mm x 163mm x 113mm