Canon PowerShot G5 X - Ikelite Housing 6146.05
The Ikelite underwater housing for the Canon PowerShot G5 X camera
True Canon TTL
An integrated TTL circuit is fine-tuned to Canon's latest flash exposure protocol for the most accurate exposure possible with the Canon PowerShot G5X camera. The circuit is powered by the strobe for zero maintenance and no batteries to change. Exposure compensation in TTL mode is supported using the camera's built-in control. At this time, only Ikelite DS strobes are capable of powering the circuitry. SEA&SEA, INON, and Nikonos strobes will still enjoy fast recycle times and improved battery life, but must be used in manual exposure modes only.
A fast and reliable strobe connection is essential to getting the shot underwater. This housing provides a direct electrical connection to the camera's external flash hot shoe. Cord attachment is as easy as screwing in a lightbulb, and the threaded fit prevents accidental detachment during use. The bulkhead connection has been moved to the top of the housing to keep cords out of your way and reduce strain on the cord ends. A variety of sync cord terminations are available for Ikelite, SEA&SEA, INON, or Nikonos strobes for ultimate versatility.
Two fiber optic ports are built into the front of the housing provide an attachment point for fiber optic cords from most major manufacturers. The camera's built-in flash is suitable for firing an external strobe, but not for lighting a photo underwater. Use of a fiber optic connector requires the camera's built-in flash to fire, bypassing the TTL functionality of the housing.
A compact mounting tray attaches to the camera's tripod attachment point and slides into the front of the housing simply and securely. The mounting tray features a 1/4-20 tripod mount so that it doesn't need to be removed when you switch to surface photography.
Canon is known for its ergonomic controls. A full set of controls is mimicked in the housing with controls that are larger and easier to access even with thick gloves. Whenever possible, controls are located in the same configuration as on the camera to replicate the muscle memory and familiarity you've developed with your camera on the surface. Control symbols laser engraved into the back of the housing will never peel off or fade even with years of use.
There are two 1/4-20 mounts on the bottom of the housing for secure, rotation-free mounting of an optional tray and handles.
Wide Angle + Macro
Our 3-inch diameter ports feature a 67mm thread on the front for the easy attachment of external wide angle and macro wet lenses. Wide angle lenses make objects appear smaller, so that you can fit more into your frame underwater. Macro close-up lenses make small objects appear larger, so that tiny creatures will fill your frame.
The WD-3 Wide Angle Dome provides mid-range angle of view with no vignetting (dark shadows in the corners of the image).
The W-30 Wide Angle Lens, INON UWL-H100, and other 67mm threaded wide angle lenses, provide a wider maximum angle of view. Because these are separated from the camera's lens by glass, air, and water, some vignetting and edge distortion will be present. These effects can be reduced or eliminated by using a smaller aperture, zooming in slightly, and/or cropping in post-production.
External macro lenses with 67mm threads from INON, Epoque, and other manufacturers, can be attached directly to the front of the housing's port.
3-inch diameter color filters press directly onto these ports. Most wide angle lenses require a 3.6-inch diameter color filter. Refer to the product page for information on color filter compatibility.
See the O-Ring Seal
An o-ring works best when it's true to its original form. Our signature open-groove design suspends the rear o-ring in a natural position that is easier to maintain and more reliable than forcing the o-ring into a channel. For added reassurance, there's no substitute for inspecting the actual o-ring seal through the back of your housing once it is closed. Polycarbonate is fundamentally corrosion-resistant for easy maintenance year after year.
The camera's built-in Wifi can be used through the housing to transfer your photos effortlessly after the dive without opening your housing. Wifi function cannot be used underwater.
We are proud to offer the only housing and lighting system for the Canon PowerShot G5 X that is 100% designed, built, and tested in the USA. Our housings are handmade and individually inspected for fit, function and waterproof integrity. The average assembly technician is a certified scuba diver and has over 16 years of experience building Ikelite products. We back our products with over 50 years of experience and the most accessible and responsive customer service staff in the dive industry.
Serial number requirements
- AF35: not compatible
- DS50: yes, above serial number 70000
- DS51: yes
- DS125: yes, above serial number 5000
- DS160, DS161: yes
- DS200: yes, above serial number 7163
Electrical sync cord compatibility
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.51
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Dual Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.52
- SEA&SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.1
- SEA&SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Dual Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.2
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.31
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.32
Fiber optic cord compatibility
- Ikelite 4501 Fiber Optic Coiled Cord
- INON Optical D Cable "Non-wireless type" L-Connector
- Sea&Sea Fiber Optic Cable (L-type) Product No. 50107
- Olympus UW Fiber Optic Cable PTCB-E02
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable No. 26211 Nauticam to INON
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable No. 26212 Nauticam to Sea&Sea
- 200 ft (60m) depth rating
- All important camera functions are accessible
- Controls are not provided for the Diopter Adjustment Dial or Mobile Device Connect button; Mobile devices may be connected through the housing using the camera's menus
- Ikelite bulkhead connector with built-in TTL circuitry
- 1/4-20 thread tray mounting with 3 inch (76 mm) spacing
- 3.0-inch diameter glass lens port with 67mm threaded front
- Slightly negative buoyancy in fresh water
- Actual buoyancy varies depending on choice of lens and port
- Weight 3.3 lb (1500 g) not including tray, handles or port
- Dimensions 7.4 x 5.8 x 5.8 in (188 x 147 x 147 mm) including projections